6/29/2012

On caretaking and self-neglect

It seldom fails to awe or to impress
How frighteningly easy it can be
When called upon, in direst distress,
To be on hand for anyone but me;
Heroic, really - deftly plucking specks
From eyes (by now I've learned to do it blind),
Or rescuing the others from their wrecks
While leaving mine for  last (since who would mind?)
Though all may be of need, I still believe
That all else equal, they should need it more;
That I may strive, their burdens to relieve,
And my afflictions casually ignore.
For theirs I have no right to hesitate;
For mine, no wish to face them -
Mine can wait.

1 comment:

Pyraverne said...

I've always been a fan of Shakespearean sonnets, and this one does not fail to impress. Nicely done!
On a non-poetic line, thanks for all you've ever done for Fox and I, and you know I'm here whenever you need a talk or a hug. *huggle*
And, if there is anything we can do, we would like to help you with your messes.