12/01/2012

This fortnight in Andalusada, 11/24/2012

This was supposed to be a weekly post (these things usually are), but due to Thanksgiving weekend I got rather derailed by stuff... so here goes.

Saturday, 11/17/2012

I didn't post anything particularly new on Saturday. Instead, I filled out a number of other things instead - starting with a significant expansion of Don Musa. His dates were settled upon (1796-1887), and his service with Caliph Yusuf was pushed back a few years because Yusuf I hired his father first (which means that I need to introduce that father for a bit, if only to kill him later.) He's also been made into a dirty old man; his first wife (who also needs introducing) predeceases him, so his wife can bear him Don Ibrahim without being nearly 60 herself; and, unlike the rest of Andalusada, his old age and death have been written in.
  • After that, a bit of editing was done for Yusuf I: his dates were written in (1772-1839), and mention of Abu Musa was made.
  • Don Ibrahim's birth year was pushed to 1860, and his formative years have been colored in more than anyone else's in Andalusada. His details - his relationship with his mother, his memories of his father, how that relates to Yusuf III - makes for the first family dynamics I've written anywhere in the blog.
  • Yusuf III also got a considerable expansion of his own.
And so to bed.

Sunday, 11/18/2012

It's been a tropey night, and tonight's one new post was a trope I'd started awhile ago and forgotten about: the Backbiting Journalists.
  • The UCNA's history was greatly expounded upon: Don Musa's death was written in, for starters, and the rhetoric of regencies was dropped as regards Yusuf II. Yusuf III was linked in, as was Basil II, about whom I know next to nothing.
  • Yusuf III was further rewritten - introducing his reputation as "the Camel," and repeatedly editing both his backstory and his birth year. This made for a hell of a mess.
  • Yusuf II, for his part, had the background to his succession cleaned up a touch. (And then, once I'd established that Yusuf wasn't necessarily born at the time, it got revised further. Retconning can be such a headache sometimes.)
  • Since I was linking to it enough anyways, backbiting got a significant expansion (and a reclassification to "works in progress.")
  • Eugen Orff got slightly expanded upon, although at present I know too little about too much to say more than I do.
  • Dystopian Catholic France was slightly expanded upon, mostly to work in the mention of Syrophilia from the Heretical Hero.
And so to bed.

Monday, 11/19/2012

Finally, back into writing again. The first thing I posted was the first wife of the UCNA, Zahra.
  • Yusuf III was expanded again, originally to link him to Zahra. While I was at it, I took my derps from R. and E. and put them to use, adding an anecdote about his puberty, introducing his penpals (and one of his older brothers), and filling out his early ties to the Believers, whoever they are. ("Whoever they are" happens a lot within this.)
  • Derp with E. started two posts, but before I wrote either of them I edited the House of Umayya to discuss its survival as a phratry. (At this point, I introduced the fact that Abu Yusuf has several Aqsi Umayyad families tracing their descent through him, including one in Cuba. Yusuf isn't an only son, and if real-world family trees were any indicator his surviving brothers shouldn't have any problems reproducing.)
    • Later on, I edited it again, rearranging the discussion of its madness and linking some of the actual Umayyads I've gotten fleshed out into it.
  • Once I was done with that, I pounded out a post about Moorish phratries, specifically so I could link things to it. (Yes, it's a terrible post. "It will be expanded upon" includes revisions.)
  • Once I was done with that, I added my last original post of the night: the Remarkable Mahr, my first non-character-related trope. It would be very helpful if I had any ideas for stories where it'd show up, but that's going to call for women to request mahrs... and guys to request them from.... and that's gonna involve a lot of work.
  • Yusuf II had some details added, about the rise of the Believers during his reign (linking Yusuf III to it coincidentally.)
After that was done, Yusuf III and Zahra had their lives (especially their lives together) filled out. And so, after that and 100 hits on the blog, to bed.

Tuesday, 11/20/2012

No new post before nightfall, but one thing got a major edit: New World Carolingian literature got reduced from an even more awful name and URL to something that's at least compact.
  • Eugen Orff got expanded again, this time to add his (very WIPpy) legacy...
  • ...and to add him to Andalusada's list of authors.
  • After crunching some numbers, I amended the 8.8mm page, inventing the French third-bore (~9.02mm) so that it could lose out to 8.8mm rifles, surviving as a big-cat gun.
  • Speaking of big-cat guns, I got onto a tangent with a friend of mine. By the time I was done, it'd mutated into the French tierseur, the first world-specific family of boutique rifles I've ever designed.
  • Alongside that, I wrote up my first true parerga in awhile: the Shimoga man-eaters. It was very much a work in progress as of when I signed off last night, though.
And so to bed.

Wednesday, 11/28/2012

Wednesday was spent driving, Thursday spent thanksgiving, Friday spent attempting movie-going, Saturday spent successfully movie-going, Sunday spent working, Monday spent driving, and Tuesday spent struggling with the first moment of writer's block in the history of Andalusada. In the end, I wrote up exactly one thing: the first brand-name tierseur I'd touched since that point.

Thursday, 11/29/2012

Writer's block continued through to the next day; out of curiosity (prompted in no small part by GURPS Horror), I wrote up the local MIBs... and so to bed.

Friday, 11/30/2012

Writer's block fizzled out yesterday, when I finally got around to starting the writeup of a new ethnicity: the Occidental French.
  • This in turn sent me back to do some actual editing of the Montagnards, the other occidental French.
And so to the present day...

No comments: